Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Pinterest Challenge Winter Edition




My friend, Becky, loves red velvet cake.  I've made lots of red velvet cakes before, didn't really get why they were so popular.  Vanilla cake with a little bit of cocoa, not really chocolate, not vanilla, and a ton of red food coloring.  Appetizing, right?  I just didn't get it.  Becky explained the draw of the red velvet cake, the texture.  So last year for her birthday (today, March 15th), I made her a green velvet cake in the shape of a shamrock.  It was dense, it was moist, it was so so yummy, and it completely fell apart and I was too embarrassed to take pictures.  But it was good!  So this year when I saw this on Pinterest, I knew I had to make this cake for Becky's birthday.  Which is well-timed because it is the Pinterest Challenge Winter Edition at Young House LoveBower PowerThe Great Indoors, and Hi Sugarplum!  So here is my meager attempt at the Pinterest challenge that Katie Bower of Bower Power and Sherry Petersik of Young House Love created.


I made the cheesecake first as Lori of Recipe Girl suggested.  I decided to make it pink because even though the cake would be green, I thought Becky deserved a pretty and girly cake.  I baked it in a water bath, like suggested, with boiling water.  Here's a tip that I figured out when I had to put the cake in the oven without scalding myself:  Put it in the oven first, then put the water in the pan.



Then I made the green velvet cake, using my own recipe that I perfected last year.  I halved all the recipes and made a 6" cake instead of a 8 or 9" cake because the cake would be so rich.




It turned out pretty good!   I decorated it with light purple-y pink streamers, shamrocks and 4-leaf clovers.  Please forgive the not-so-great picture.  You could actually read the cake, but here it looks very light.



Becky liked it!





Becky, Linda and I each had a piece after a fabulous birthday dinner that Linda made.  Then after a little while, Linda admitted that she was going to have a second piece after I left, so we broke it out again and each had a second slice.  


Anyone else make anything off of Pinterest lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment