Saturday, March 3, 2012

Marathon Training

Randy:  I have been quite absent from this blogging thing.  Mostly, its because we haven't cleaned anything for a while.  Hey, wasn't that the point of this?

But I have been in the middle of marathon training.  Am I a runner?  No.  But there is a reason for training.  There are actually 2 reasons.

In January 2010, Jodi and I went to Disney in Orlando for her dad's birthday.  While we were there, the Disney Marathon was going on.  While we were walking thru EPCOT Center, I said, "I could do that." For all the stupid things I say, most people just ignore me.  But Jodi's dad said, "No, you can't."

Randy's Favorite Disney Characters



Ok, I turn in Marty McFly from Back to the Future 2 and 3 when people challenge me. While we were having his birthday dinner, I commented that the laniards that the runners were wearing were the only thing at Disney that you couldn't buy.  And again, my father-in-law said that I couldn't complete this marathon.  I promised him that when I cross the finish line, I will look him right in the face and tell him what he can do.

Dad's 60th Birthday Dinner at the Wilderness Lodge


I started training in 2010. I used to be a hockey player and running for distance is not my speciality. I was doing very well. At the time, I was going to grad school at the University of Southern California. And I started failing a class because the commitment to work, school and training was too much. So I quit work. Just kidding. I decided to stop training until after school. And Jodi's got some pictures somewhere from the graduation party last July.

Randy's Graduation Party from USC.  All the kids sang Happy Birthday.  So cute! 


What's the other reason?  My company made us take a health screening for our insurance.  You take the screening or pay $120.  I took the screening.  And the stupid nurse said (I'll paraphrase) that I'm a fat disgusting slob and a walking chalk-outline.  I weighed 205 lbs and my cholesterol was not good.  She recommended that I take medications.  I told her what she can do with that idea.  Apparently, I'm a jerk sometimes.  I told her that I would fix this.

So... there are 2 paths that have met in December.  I'm training.  I am training hard (and carefully).  I am running, swimming, biking and lifting.  After 9 weeks, I'm down to 190 lbs and getting into bathing suit shape.

Why am I blogging this?  Because on weekends, I wake up early to run long distance.  It was awesome. But then I came home and fell asleep.  I will finish cleaning the dining room this weekend.  Jodi will show pictures later.

I also need to shave.
And I'm taking Jodi to the movies.

1 comment:

  1. Randy doesn't mention that there is restraining order where he is not allowed within 50 feet of Chip and Dale. We'll be in Disney for my next birthday but we will miss the marathon.

    ReplyDelete