Saturday, January 4, 2014

Its Gonna Be A Long Walk Home

Finally, Randy has returned to blogging!

While you read this post, I recommend that you listen to the Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch" and "Long Walk Home."

If you live in the northeast region of the United States, you are experiencing one heck of a winter cold front. Thursday, as some of you may have experienced, was a snowy night.

This is my story of Thursday evening.

One of my coworkers brought in cookies. He had one left, so I took it for Jodi. She likes cookies.

I had decided to leave work on-time on Thursday. For those that know me, you may find that statement hard to believe. But, I wanted to be home before the snow started. Smart idea, huh?

By the time I got to the final stretch of the drive, it had yet to start snowing. So I decided to go to the gym. In subsequent posts, I will describe the training for another marathon. But I had wanted to begin the training again. Why sit at home, right? It wasn't snowing. How ironic.

During my workout, I saw that it was snowing. So I quickly changed and left. But, Jodi and I needed a few groceries... and with a Wegman's across the street from the gym... how long would it take?

The snow wasn't bad when I left. I had made it up the first of 2 major hills. I can get home, right? And so, the story begins...

My car slid out on the second hill. I smelled the transmission heating as my car tires failed to make contact with solid, dry road. Now, for the first time in my driving life, I was afraid. I called Jodi. I told her that I'm not driving home.

I made a K-turn on a highway. The traffic going in the opposite direction was very heavy. Luckily, my direction had no cars. Gee, maybe it was because it was impossible to drive. A man driving a utility truck stopped traffic to let me enter. I told Jodi that I'm going to leave my car in a neighborhood. So I turned right into the next street, found a good spot, and turned off my engine.

Jodi asked where I was. I have no idea. I walked up to the house and knocked on the door. A little dog barked and a man opened the door. Soon, his family (wife and 3 daughters) showed up.

"Sir, my car won't make it up the road. Do you mind if I leave my car in front of your house?"

"Do you want to call someone? Can someone get you?"

"Yeah, I'm currently on the phone with my wife. But I can't have her drive here considering I can't get home."

The mother: "Would you like to stay here for a while?"

The oldest daughter: "We're gonna watch Sharknado. Do you want to watch?"

I said, "Actually, I've seen Sharknado. And I appreciate all your kindness, but I just want to leave my car somewhere safe so I can walk home."

The mother: "You're going to walk?! Would you like to stay here?"

I said, "No, I really appreciate it, but I'd like to go home. I can walk. No big deal."
The mother: "Let me make you a sandwich. Let me give you some boots. Look at your shoes! You'll fall."

I said, "No, I really do appreciate it, but I'm gonna head out."

I moved my work computer and Xbox 360 (I just bought it at lunch) into the trunk with my groceries. I gave the key to my car to the family. I gave the cookie to the mom. Yes, it was for Jodi, but it was the only thing I could offer for her kindness.

And I was off. Flyers' ski hat, leather jacket, and gloves.

Jodi was on the phone (with my earbuds so I didn't have to carry it). She was on Google Earth helping me navigate. She was awesome.

I walked about 100 yards and fell. I laughed. The mother called it!

I am the luckiest person in the entire world. For all the doors I could have knocked on. Most houses... the people would hide from the unknown. They wouldn't help. Wouldn't want to get involved. But, I am so thankful that this family... a name I will not post... helped. And offered me more. All I took was a parking spot in their driveway.

So, the first song I thought of was Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch." He sings, "There ain't no kindness in the face of strangers. Ain't gonna find no miracles here." But, as much as I love Bruce, he got this one wrong. There is a kindness in strangers.

I'll be honest, I felt really comfortable walking. I had no fear of being behind the wheel. No fear of hitting someone or being hit. I had my feet.
Let me tell you, it was 19 degrees, 15mph winds with wind chill at about 0 degrees, and 4 inches of snow and growing. This was the complete opposite of the marathon.

It wasn't a bad walk. I got to take some shortcuts because Jodi was navigating. She got me to Target. I needed stuff.

First, I bought 2 pairs of boot socks. My feet were wet and cold from trudging thru the snow. From my military trained friends, I was told to always change your socks when you have a chance.
I bought an extra large hooded sweatshirt because strangely, Target doesn't sell men's scarves. My neck was very cold from the wind. Look, I get teased for being cheap, but I'm not gonna risk frostbite over a few bucks. And I bought active wear long johns... blue... so I look like Spider-man. I changed into my new clothes and put my wet socks in my pocket. I was very toasty.

I started walking again. This time... the cold did NOT bother me.

Jodi and I had two very funny moments. Again, Jodi is on Google Earth. She sees where I'm going from a satellite photo. But I have eyes too. So, I'm walking and Jodi says, "Go through the trees."

"Uhh, that's thick brush."

"No, it just two trees thick."

"Uhh, you're not seeing what I'm seeing."
I did find a space and slid thru on my butt. It was too steep to try to walk... and heaven help me if I turn my ankle or something.

Now, I'm walking through someone's back yard. I'm through parking lots. I'm on side streets.

The other funny moment, "you know, Jod, the snow is actually pretty. I wish you were here."

"Shut up! Can I pick you up?"

"No, not yet... let me get somewhere closer. The roads aren't plowed yet. I'll tell you when you can come."

Finally, I got to the Wawa about a half mile from our house. I said, "Ok, now you can come get me."
I had walked about 6 miles... after my 2.5 mile run at the gym. Even when I got into Jodi's car, I didn't feel comfortable with being in a car. I wish I could have finished my walk. But, it was nice to stop walking.

First, I called the family to tell them that I was home. It was so nice that they were worried.

Next, I emailed my bosses that I was not working on Friday. I told them that I left my laptop in my abandoned car.

And then, I couldn't get Bruce Springsteen's "Long Walk Home" out of my head. No, its not about walking home in the snow... but the chorus seemed to be the easiest to fit into my adventure.

After all the stress that Jodi went through, she was not amused with my self-proclaimed "Tale of Huckleberry Finn and Samwise." She and I made cupcakes for the family.

The next day, she took me to my car. We had shovels in her car so we could shovel their driveway. We got to the house and I said, "Sonvabitch!"

Not only did the family shovel their own driveway, they wiped the car off my car and reversed my car so I could easily get out. Can you believe that -ish!? Who the heck do they think they are?!

Jodi and I gave them the cupcakes and they returned my key. And we were off again. And I drove home with no issue.

I'm still sore from walking.

1 comment:

  1. Very good story, even nicer folks. Sorry U had to endure the snow and cold.

    ReplyDelete