Monday, February 13, 2012

Strawberry cupcakes

Jodi:  I made cupcakes for a co-worker's birthday this past week at work.  She asked for vanilla, but it's not really a surprise if you get just what you asked for, right?  I knew she likes strawberry short cakes and cream cheese icing, so I came up with something a little different.  I pulled out my strawberry cake recipe adapted from here.  

I didn't use the red food coloring because we're trying this whole Mediterranean diet thing at work right now.  Basically you can eat what you want in reasonable quantities, but no preservatives, fake colors, fake sugars, etc.  So real butter (which I always use anyway), full fat milk, etc.  A few of my co-workers are also trying it, so every day we compare notes of where we found bread with no high-fructose corn syrup, etc.  It's awesome because the food is better, but a challenge because foods without weird ingredients are unfortunately harder to find.

  

For the icing I used this recipe, which is the best cream cheese frosting I have ever had in my life.  If you try it, don't skip the almond extract, and let me know what you think!  Totally worth it.  Ina Garten is a genius.   

I then topped them off with a half an organic strawberry, which I drained on some paper towels before I popped them on top to avoid the juice running down the side of the cupcake and making it soggy.


These cupcakes would be perfect for Valentine's Day, wouldn't they?  Speaking of, what do you all have planned for Tuesday?



If you'd like to see more cakes and cupcakes I have made, check out my website, www.sugarwhim.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment