Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chloe's 3rd Birthday

Jodi:  As Randy and I said yesterday, we were recently up in State College to celebrate the 3rd birthday of one of our favorite little people, Chloe.  You know how you have some friends who are the family that you choose?  Chloe's parents, Derrick and Hannah, are those kinds of friends.  

Hannah asked me to make Chloe's 3rd birthday cake and I was super excited.  The last time I made a cake for Chloe was when she was born.


Randy totally hogged all the baby time the first time we met her.


A perfectly-timed yawn.  Totally sweet, right?


Well now that she's 3, Chloe wanted a more sophisticated chocolate cake, vanilla icing with purple and yellow flowers and butterflies.  I made the butterflies out of soy paper, so they were edible too.  I just cut them out with kitchen scissors.



Randy went to Michaels and rigged up a great wire structure for the butterflies using some fondant and a flower water tube.  Chloe and Hannah helped me paint the butterflies with purple food coloring.  We just mixed a dab of gel color with some water.


 I used a regular buttercream instead of an italian buttercream so it was a little more sweet for the kids.  The 3 is made out of a mix of home-made marshmallow fondant and gum paste.  This is one of my most favorite cakes I have done.  Kids cakes let you use more imagination and whimsy...  and of course it was extra special because Randy helped.  He's becoming quite the cake guy.  I just ask him what he thinks about how to do something and he makes it happen.

It was a great party!  Great food (Chik-fil-a!), great friends, great weather.  We got there and it was snowing, but the sun came out and it was a beautiful day, as you can see in the picture below.

Happy Birthday, Chloe!


Anyone else make any fun kid cakes lately?  Amy, I know you did for that cute little boy!  Please share!





No comments:

Post a Comment