Sunday, April 1, 2012

Heroes

Randy:  This was the greatest and busiest weeks ever.  This was the busiest week because I had a lot of work to do.  I do a lot at work.  But I don't really want to talk about that.  I want to talk about why this was the greatest week.  And more importantly, I want you to understand me a little more.

If you were ever to play the word association game... and my name came up... there are 2 things that you can easily spout out: The Philadelphia Flyers and Bruce Springsteen.

I am a sports fan. My ultimate favorite team is Team USA (no offense to anyone reading this from another country).  If you are an athlete in any sport and wear the red, white, and blue, I will root for you.  However, I am a Philadelphia fan.  I cheer for the Phillies, Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, Penn State Football, Big 5 basketball, the Union, the Wings, and the Kixx.  My FAVORITE is the Flyers.  I bleed orange and black.  I could write forever about the Flyers.  My all time favorite player is Rod Brind'amour because his work ethic was awesome and he was a true hero.  Plus, I met him a few times and he was the nicest guy.  Let's stick to the theme.

Quick side note: I come from the most stereotypical Jewish family.  My dad's a doctor. My brother's a lawyer. I'm an engineer turned accountant (kinda) and my mom is a nursery school teacher.  My mom has no qualms walking up to strangers and starting conversations.  That was important to know for the beginning of this story.

So, I'm sitting at my desk on Tuesday doing work.  My mom calls. "I have someone for you to talk to." Normally, my mom would put me on the phone with a 2-year-old, the child's mom or a coworker. Before I could stop her (I was busy at work), she was gone.

"Hello," the deep voice said.
"Uhhhh... uhhhh... is this Coach Laviolette?" (I know his voice, yes)
"Good morning."
"Uhhhh.... Coach, I just want you to know that I'm one of the Flyers' Faithful. We are rooting for you for the rest of the season.   And we wish you the best of luck throughout the playoffs."
"Thank you, we appreciate it.  Your mom is a pretty special lady."
 "Oh, she's special alright!  If you had her behind the bench, you wouldn't get half the bad calls you get."
"You're probably right.  Alright, I'll give you back to her.  Have a good day."
"Thanks, Coach."

Here's the deal. My mom is in a store and Coach Laviolette is next to her.  She's a big sports fan also. And she says, "I know you, but I don't know from where."
He replied, "hi, I'm Andy Reid."
"No, you're not. If you were Andy Reid, I wouldn't talk to you. You're Peter Laviolette, the Flyers' head coach. YOU MUST TALK TO MY SON!"

I love Laviolette for 2 reasons... the first was that he coached Rod Brind'amour to a Stanley Cup in Carolina.  But also, he gave Philly one of the best runs in 2010 including coming back from 3 games to none against Boston.
He's my hero.  Why?  Because he had all the reason to tell my mom to leave him alone, but he was cool enough to make her happy.  And he had no reason to be nice.

If he starts Game 1 of the Playoffs this year with no goalie and 6 defensemen on the ice... he's still the best!

As I told my co-workers, someone said that I should have recommended new line combinations. WHAT?!  Do you think I keep line-combinations at my desk JUST IN CASE the Flyers' coach calls me?!

And that brings us to Thursday.  Jodi and I went to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.  It was my 30th show.  Each one is different and I have memories of each and every one.  Philly, New Jersey, State College, Cleveland... in Philly: Veterans Stadium, JFK Stadium, the Spectrum, the Wells Fargo Center... it doesn't matter... I'd go anywhere.  He is the Boss.

Jodi ought to post her pictures.  We sat in my company's luxury box.  I bought the tickets... relax.  I'm not that important.  It was my first show since Clarence Clemmons died.  It was bad enough when Danny Federici died... but now Clarence.

1 week.. 2 heroes.

Best week ever

No comments:

Post a Comment