Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Bruce Experience Part II: The Xfinity Center


Jodi:  Last week we were lucky enough to attend the 2nd of Bruce Springsteen's two-night-stint in Philly.  While we were there, they would let you into the new Xfinity Center if you showed your Bruce ticket, which did not officially open until Friday, March 30th.


The Xfinity center is where the famed Spectrum used to be before it was torn down a couple of years ago.  But let me tell you, that Spectrum put up a fight.  They hit it with a wrecking ball and it still stood.  Not surprising since it was the home of the Broad Street Bullies.


Back in the fall of 2009, Bruce and Pearl Jam each did a four-night good-bye to the Spectrum.  We went to one night of each of the shows, but it all culminated in an amazing Pearl Jam concert Halloween night.  Every time we hear a recording of this historic show, Randy reminds me that we were here:


13845_1266490908306_1410803334_30804549_8288651_n.jpg

My cousin Heather's beautiful Halloween wedding, where I was MOH and made the cake.



...And where people were encouraged to come in costume.  Don't tell me Cookie Monster wasn't having an awesome time.


Anyway, we've seen Pearl Jam many times before and since then, and Heather only gets married once.

So back to the Xfinity Center.  The B-Street Band was there getting the crowd all warmed up.  As you can see, it was a beautiful night for a concert.



This is Randy's Record Exec look.  I mean not the look on his face, his T shirt and sports jacket.  To be fair, the sun was in his eyes and I jumped in front of him and said, "Smile!"


Randy:  I have to correct Jodi.  I have a very specific style that I feel comfortable.  Ok, I have 2 styles... the first is a deadbeat.  I barely shave, and if it were not for Jodi, I'd probably be walking around in black shoes with a brown belt.  OH NO!  Yes, I have no fashion sense.  Typically, I don't care, but embarrassing Jodi in public is something I choose to do intentionally... so dressing like I'm a blind man is strictly accidental.  I'll just blame my mom.  But my real style, the one I chose for myself, is a music recording studio executive.  And hence, Jodi is a rock studio exec's wife.  Referring to Jodi as that makes me laugh.  She gives me her "you're an idiot" look every time I said that.  But yes, its a sports coat with a t-shirt underneath... jeans... and nice shoes.  And, the belt matches the shoes and matches the socks.*

* Note - if I had a 3rd style, it would be Judd Nelson from the Breakfast Club.

FYI -  I truly have no idea what I was writing about.

Jodi:  There were all the normal Philadelphia sights...  drunk people, sports fans, people in costumes on stilts...


There's Lincoln Financial Field in the background.


Randy:  I will be re-writing this as I listen to Megadeth's Rust In Peace album.  Why am I saying "re-write?"  Because I wrote this post yesterday and the stupid computer messed it up.  I am not bitter or anything, but its very hard to conjour the emotions and spirit that went into the first post.  So, I have requested the help of rock legend, Dave Mustaine, to get my fingers and brain moving.  Strangely, that is no easy task.


As we've discussed before, I am a diehard Philadelphia Flyers fan.  I guess I have to backtrack for a bit.  Have any of you been to Phoenix? Particularly the sports complex down there?  Its really awesome. There are the stadiums, but there is a whole district for food, drinking, and shopping.  Well, Philadelphia is trying to move into that direction.  In South Philly, you had the Spectrum, the Wells Fargo Center, Citizens Bank Park, and Lincoln Financial Stadium.  However, with the Flyers and Sixers playing in the Wells Fargo Center, the Spectrum does not do much except make people remember the great moments.  So, Philly decided to tear the building down.  I get it... doesn't mean I have to like it.  As Jodi said, Philly built the XFinity Center on top of it.  And yes, its pretty freakin' cool.  Its enormous, with hardwood floor from the Sixers days in the Spectrum.  And the bars have the same names from the places in the Spectrum.  Jodi and I are extremely trendy, so it is very important that we check out the latest scenes before everyone else.  That's just funny writing that.  To be honest, we just didn't feel like sitting in the car in the parking lot anymore.  The Wells Fargo Center hadn't opened yet for the concert.




It was nice to hang out with a whole bunch of Bruce fans.  And who wouldn't want to go into the new place (days before the grand opening) and pay way too much for a cheap beer and watch the Royals and Rockies play Spring Training Baseball?  Yes, that was sarcastic, but I can totally see the place being packed on an Eagles' Sunday or after a Phillies game on a nice summer night.  Let's be perfectly honest... that will be ground zero when another Philadelphia team wins a championship.  And heaven help me if the next team is the Wings (indoor lacrosse) or the Kixx (indoor soccer) or the Soul (arena football).  They don't count... no offense. 

I preferred my first post.  I can't remember anything I wrote.  I remember writing something about not being free advertising for the Xfinity Center unless the Xfinity Center puts a link to our page.



Coming up...  Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!


No comments:

Post a Comment