Saturday, January 5, 2013

An Offer We Couldn't Refuse

Back in September, Randy and I spent a week in Ocean City, NJ, with our awesome friends, Hannah and Derrick, and their super smart little girls, Chloe and Lyla.  We had an awesome time down at the shore.  We celebrated my birthday, we had lots of relaxation, we caught up on Once Upon a Time on Net Flix when the girls went to bed, and we logged some seriously fun beach time, complete with sandcastles, a sand super slide, and great shell hunting.  The highlight of the week?  Hannah and Derrick asked Randy and I to be Lyla's godparents.

Now you may be asking, a Catholic and a Jew?  Godparents?  Or more realistically you're thinking, "Who would let those two crazies be responsible for a child's religious upbringing?"  We actually asked all of those questions ourselves, when I stopped crying and hugging everyone.  Since Lyla would be baptized in the Methodist church, Derrick and Hannah could choose Godparents of any religion.  Those Methodists, pretty progressive thinkers!  Count us in!

Now as far as asking us to be Godparents, I won't question Hannah and Derrick's sanity on that one because I'm just so honored to BE Lyla's Godmother.  In fact, we now have nicknames, Randy is "The Godfather", and I am Lyla's "Fairy Godmother".  

Here we are, one big happy family, looking all respectable at the church.  Randy even wore a sports coat and tie!


To say that we were honored would be an understatement.  We're so excited to share our religions with Lyla and help her to be strong in her own.  Maybe Lyla needs some convincing.  She seems to be trying to get away from Randy here.


Here we are with the minister, who was so wonderful.  She used a scallop shell to baptize Lyla and gave it to Derrick and Hannah afterwards as a symbol of Lyla's faith.


After church, Hannah's parents hosted a fabulous brunch at their home.  We all took turns holding Lyla in front of the fireplace.  Isn't she adorable?  Definitely the cutest goddaughter we've ever had.  And yeah, this is back in October.  We have a lot to catch up on!


Here's an outtake.  We couldn't get Lyla to turn around, so we turned around ourselves.


The dress was handmade by Hannah's grandmother.  Both of Hannah's sisters, her cousins, and Chloe were also baptized in the same gorgeous dress.  Hannah's mom "bustled" it so Lyla could walk.


The proud family.  So beautiful.


We weren't expecting to receive gifts as godparents, but Hannah and Derrick got Randy this great shirt, and I got a beautiful picture frame that says "Godparents".  I'm going to put one of the top pictures in it and hang it on our wall of things that make us happy.


As co-godparents, Randy and I talked about what to get Lyla for her baptism.  Then Randy went behind my back and got her a plush Torah.  I'm not sure why he didn't tell me about it.  Everyone thought it was awesome, including Lyla.  Now she can get in touch with those judeo-christian roots.


We also got Lyla the same Golden Book children's bible that I had when I was little.  I remember learning some of my most formative and basic tenants of religion from that book.  It's written at a child's level and edited by a priest, a minister, and a rabbi.  If that doesn't get the Good Housekeeping seal of approval in this situation, I don't know what does.


We also got her this sweet children's bed time prayer book.  My friend Jill told me about it, and I ordered it from amazon when I got the Children's Bible.  I highly recommend it.


I think Lyla loves her fuzzy Torah!


Has anyone else been completely surprised and felt totally honored to be a godparent?  I know baptisms and godparents are not a big deal (or even existent) in some religions, but to me, it's one of the highest honors!


1 comment:

  1. We are just honored that you accepted this important role in our little girl's life :-) beautiful blog! We love you two!!

    ReplyDelete