Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Megan and Matt's wedding

On to our next stop on the May 3 Weddings, a Baby Shower and a Birthday party:  Matt and Megan's wedding.

You may remember this post in which I let the cat out of the bag that Megan and Matt, my friend and Randy's friend, who we introduced a few years back at a Harry Potter movie, were looking at engagement rings.  And you might remember this post about Megan's bridal shower and the beautiful blue dresses she had picked for us to wear for the wedding.  And you may remember that I was the Matron of Honor and Randy was a groomsman, so we don't have a lot of pictures since we were in the wedding.

Megan asked me to give a speech at the rehearsal dinner.  I'm glad it was for the rehearsal and not at the actual wedding, but getting up in front of any size group of people gives me the willies.  I've given presentations at work and at school, but this was my first toast!  I decided to just tell the story of the night that Megan and Matt met, which is actually a pretty funny story.  I was so nervous and had to practice it in front of some friends and random women in the Ladies' room.  It fell flat.  It was awful.  I had "To Life, To Laughter, and To Happily Ever After" in my back pocket at the suggestion of one of the ladies in the bathroom, but it turned out I didn't need it.  I got up there to give the speech and it was a million times better than the practice run in the bathroom, not to toot my own horn or anything.  I'm just glad it wasn't a massive failure and Megan is still talking to me.  That, in my book, is a successful toast.

This is the only picture I got to snap before the wedding.


The wedding was at St. Patrick's Church in Kennett Square.  Randy showed up early and made friends with the ladies at the church, Mary and Marge.  They were so nice and answered all of his off-the-wall questions about Catholicism that I don't know the answers to or can't answer while he's whispering loudly in church.  Thanks Mary and Marge!  You rock!  Now I don't have to give him the same speech my mom gave me when I was five before we walked into church, that we have to be quiet in "God's house", and he hasn't referred to Jesus as "The only other jew in church" in a while.  But I'm getting off topic.

We had an absolutely perfect day for the wedding.  The sun was shining, it wasn't too hot, the sky was a beautiful blue and there were fluffy white clouds.  The grass and trees seemed extra green.  You really could not ask for a more beautiful day.

When we got to the country club after the wedding, we took some golf carts out to the golf course for some professional pictures.  My husband ditched me to ride with Megan's 16-year-old cousin, but Matt's brother gave me a ride.

As you can see, Megan looked beautiful.



Megan's family has a tradition where the bride and groom at every family wedding drink out of the "Loving Cup".  And I thought it was just a Rolling Stones song.  That little guy below actually lifts up off his legs and his coat flips over to be a cup.  The cup on top is hinged to it, and both cups are filled with wine.  The bride drinks from the little cup, and the groom drinks from the coat and they have to do it without spilling.  I think it's an Irish Tradition, but a new one to me.  That's Megan's bouquet below.  Does this florist do gorgeous work or what?


Isn't Megan's dress beautiful?  It had buttons all down the back that we had to fasten one by one.  I did not envy Matt after the wedding, and I'm guessing Megan had to sleep in that dress!


The cake was just like Megan, very traditional and classic.  I haven't seen an actual bride and groom on a wedding cake in a long time, but it is so charming.  The cake was chocolate with vanilla icing and fondant.



  


Ever go to a wedding and think, "Wow, these two could not be marrying into nicer families?"  That was definitely true of this wedding.  Everyone was celebrating as hard as they could and there was a definite merging of the two families.  It was a beautiful thing.

Congratulations, Matt and Megan!




No comments:

Post a Comment