Monday, January 2, 2012

Super!

Randy and I are incredibly lucky to have some really great friends, and our friends are incredibly lucky because they have cute kids.  Specifically cute kids who love super heroes.  So I was on Pinterest a while back, and I got an idea from here to make super hero capes for all the cute little boys in our lives who LOVE super heroes, for Christmas.  

Randy and I went to JoAnn fabric and Randy found costume satin in bright red and royal blue and declared them perfect for super hero capes.  So I picked up a couple of yards and the appropriate colors in felt to make Superman and Batman capes.

I printed out the Batman and Superman logos from the internet and made templates using an exacto knife on an upside-down Dunkin Donuts crate from Costco.  Yes, we're real high tech here.  Then I pinned it to the felt and cut it out.




Then I stitched them together on the sewing machine.  As you can see here, my sewing isn't that straight, but I didn't think the little boys would care too much.  



 Don't pay any attention to the papasan behind Randy's head, I had to hide it somewhere while the Christmas tree is in its spot.



Then I made capes in the appropriate sizes for a 5, a 3 and a 1 year old.  When I made the Superman cape for the 5 year old, I modeled the cape on myself to make sure it was long enough and it would velcro properly around his neck (not too tight!).  I just finished the edges and cut a semi-circle at the top and used bias tape to finish the curved edge.  If you try this at home, avoid ironing on too high a temperature!  I melted some of the Superman fabric by accident.

Then I tried it on and danced and jumped around to make sure it fluttered the way it should.  Otherwise, what's the point of a fun cape?  I think this was Randy's favorite part, watching me dance around wearing a cape designed for a little kid.

For the 1 year old, I couldn't model the cape myself, so I enlisted another willing volunteer who was the perfect size.No, I'm not a crazy cat person who likes to dress up her animals, but Camille was very helpful and didn't get too annoyed ...until I took too many pictures.  




Look how great the capes turned out!  They even gave them laser eyes!




Totally cute, right?  And the capes are machine washable and I made them floor length so as the kids grow, they can attach the capes to their shoulders using the velcro.  The felt kind of sticks to their shirts as long as they're wearing a plain old cotton T like above.  Otherwise they can just use regular tape to attach it to their shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment