Monday, December 31, 2012

The Ghost of Christmas Present Past (and Present)

Jodi:  I know we said we'd be back next with amusing stories on iPhones.  We can and will get to that.

Part of cleaning and organizing and altogether de-cat-ifying the house, is getting rid of some excess baggage.  No, we're not getting rid of the cats.  We're listing some of our junk on ebay.

Want to see our junk?


OK, that was immature of me.  Sometimes I just can't help myself.  So this is the stuff we are listing on e-bay.


Medieval Knight Helmet


World War II Helmet


Pinky and the Brain 3-Sided Resin Desk Plaque

If you said, "Hey, those first two look like gifts that Bryan gave to Randy," you would be correct.  Ding ding ding!

Randy: Let me be honest. Bryan and I go out of our way to find the most bizarre presents for each other. I am just as much of an offender as he is. I did get him the 1977 Star Wars Christmas Special. If you've never seen (or heard) of it, ugh, its brutal. The whole dinner scene with Chewbacca and his family... who thinks of this stuff?!

But, let's take each of these objects one at a time. First, the medieval helmet. I very much appreciate the idea that Bryan wanted to get me a diver's helmet. And I would have felt terrible if he spent hundreds on it, and I spent $22 on the DVD. But, what the heck am I going to do with this? I've also been given the Green Bay Packers Cheese hat (and I'm a die hard Eagles fan). I've been given the hat with the spinner that apparently will make me sterile. C'mon! I want less stuff... not more stuff that will collect dust. If I wanted something to collect dust, I'd buy Jodi a Valentine's Day present. If I could have smelted the stupid helmet and used the metal as a door stop or a soda can or some prop from Terminator 2, I would have. Jodi wouldn't let me ruin recycle it. No offense, Bryan.

Then there is the war helmet. So, Bryan gives me this present and tells me that it's a French WWII battle helmet. He was so excited. Wait a minute! Why is there a German flag in the box? Let me get this straight... my Catholic brother-in-law bought his Jewish brother-in-law a German WWII battle helmet?! Really? Now, before I say anything... he genuinely didn't know. Bryan can be a goofball, but he'd never be that offensive. I did ask that question when I opened it. I am not one who believed the apocalypse was coming, but what practical purpose will a battle helmet have in my world? I have a hockey helmet. I have a viking helmet (which I think I gave to my brother). I have a Flyers Winter Classic knit hat. If you follow the link and buy the hat, please tell me. I promise to write a story about the origin of the helmet. You can even pick which country it came from. Please stick to either the French or the Germans. I am creative, but I'm pretty sure I have no idea how a Chilean WWII helmet came into my possession.

I have nothing to say about the Pinky & the Brain piece. Jodi had it before me. And until she lets me sell Camille on Ebay, she can do with her stuff from before we met however she feels. I'm just kidding... kinda.

Finally... the Ghost of Christmas Present Present... I am now the proud owner of an iPhone. For those that know me... this is a big deal. AT&T tricked me into getting an iPhone. We went because Jodi wanted to upgrade her iPhone. I think my flip phone is the greatest piece of technology ever created. Yes, its a remedial phone compared to the smart phones. But it freakin' flips open and closed. Can your POS smart phones do that?! I didn't think so. Sure, my phone has a 0 Megapixel camera. And yes, all of my pictures from the Stone Temple Pilot shows look like nursery school finger-paintings, but I KNOW what they are. Sure, I don't have a ring tone, but I have one friend... and that's Jodi... which explains why I'm not on Facebook.

We hadn't upgraded our phones in about 3 years. So Jodi was given this great deal on an iPhone 4s. We took advantage of it. Yay! But then Bobbi (she was super nice) told me about the deal I could accept. I could get an iPhone 4 for $0.99. To upgrade my flip phone (to something with a giant antenna or something that Zach Morris would carry) would cost me $19.99. Really?! Who runs this scam!? Jodi claims that this special deal is to lock me into some data plan. But what is this crazy Wi-Fi and why do I want it?! Yes, I have a tablet, but its the same tablet that the 10 Commandments were written on (sorry to end on a preposition. I'm a disgrace). I felt like I was backed into a corner. I started to sweat. I accepted the offer for one reason. My company has a partnership with AT&T that basically didn't raise my current rate by very much. Now, I can text people. Let's be honest, I'll be texting Jodi. I already practiced Face-Time with Jodi... but I was in the kitchen while she was in the living room. She could see me. I'm so alone.

Anyway... that concludes Christmas. Next stop... New Years! I will be posting from my iPhone... LOL... BRB... :)... :(... cya... bff... ABC... BBD... the east coast family. (If you don't get that reference... you're not allowed to read this anymore).

Jodi:  Actually if you read this far, you get my utmost respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment