Sunday, August 4, 2013

Tessa and Tom's Wedding Cake and Cupcakes

Last weekend, Sugar Whim was hired to make a cutting cake and 150 cupcakes for the country wedding of Tessa and Tom.  Tessa is the youngest in our buddy Carl's family (The Carl combination was named for his birthday cake a few years ago).  Tessa is the last one of the 4 siblings to get married, and the 3rd sibling to have a Sugar Whim wedding cake!

You might remember Kat's cake from last October, or Billy's cutting cake from a few years ago.  When Tessa asked me to make her cake, I was extremely excited!  It takes a lot to get this:


from this:  



But it was worth every second.  With such a large order, I usually enlist the help of some friends.  Linda and Becky recently had their kitchen redone, and it is GORGEOUS.  Like seriously the most beautiful and functional kitchen I have ever seen.  We will need to go and crash their house some day so you can see how fabulous it really is...  these crappy iphone pictures really don't do it justice.  So when they offered to let me use their new kitchen AND help out, I jumped for it.  I mean seriously, I have some of the best friends ever.

Here is Linda pouring out the batter for the cutting cake:



And her daughter, Becky, taking a break from mixing cupcake batter to snap some pictures with her phone:



The chocolate cupcake batter had all three of us hopping at some points - we had to melt chocolate and butter on the stove, mix our dry ingredients and measure our buttermilk all at the same time to keep production moving!  


The batter came out thick, like chocolate pudding.  It took a lot of self control to not stick our fingers in to taste the batter!





Tantalizing, isn't it?
After we baked them and mixed up the icing, I packed up all of my cupcakes (we also made italian cream cupcakes), cake layers, icings and fillings, and Randy and I drove up to State College to Hannah and Derrick's house.  I woke up really early Saturday morning to fluff up the icings in the mixer and frost my cupcakes and cakes.


Hydrangeas have been blooming around here, and I am amazed at the colors - pinks, blues, purples, whites...  but they're not solid, their beauty is the the layers of color.  I didn't want to have flat colored cupcakes, so I mixed up a few different colors.



My color scheme was blues and purples, so I mixed up a light blue, and blue purple, a purple and a pinkier purple, along with using plain white icing, and I layered them in my icing bag to get all the different layers of color.


I used my fat cupcake swirl tip to ice all of the chocolate cupcakes to look like hydrangeas, and I used the same colored vanilla italian buttercream to make forget-me-nots, roses, and sweet peas on the chocolate iced cupcakes.


It was warm and humid, so my cake started to develop some condensation, but overall held up great in the heat.


The chocolate iced cupcakes were italian cream cake with chocolate chip cookie dough centers.  I used condensed milk to give it the doughy consistency without using raw eggs!


I think these white and blues and white and purples are my favorite.


 Tessa and Tom liked it too!


I got some absolutely beautiful cake cutting pictures, so I can't help but share them here.




 Aren't they an adorable couple?





The cupcakes were completely decadent and wonderful, and the flavor combinations were excellent choices by the bride and groom.

Congratulations, Tom and Tessa!  Thanks again for hiring Sugar Whim, and for making that one-of-a-kind cupcake stand!!!  It was a beautiful display.



1 comment:

  1. The colors are just beautiful!!!! I would love to have sampled several different kinds. Best of wishes to SugarWhim, Jodi, Linda, and Becky.

    ReplyDelete